After more than a decade break, The Mars Volta reawaken from their lengthy hiatus with the release of their new single and short film for “Blacklight Shine”, streaming now. For the new track, the band enlisted original bassist Eva Gardner (Pink, Cher, Gwen Stefani), who helped write the band’s original material at their formation.
In a previous interview with Eva (Here) she spoke to us about her time working with Cedric and Omar when they first left At The Drive In and formed The Mars Volta.
“That was an incredibly creative time. I started playing with them when I was still in college, which was so refreshing, because all of a sudden I was in a room with these guys where the rules I had just learned didn’t matter. I could let all of that go and be free and just write and play whatever came from the heart. I remember sitting with Omar (Rodriguez Lopez) and Cedric (Bixler-Zivala) in their rehearsal space and going through parts we were coming up with and feeling an incredible connection. It was a really special process.”
“Blacklight Shine” pulses with Caribbean rhythms and showcases guitarist/composer Omar Rodríguez-López and singer/lyricist Cedric Bixler-Zavala. The lyrics of “Blacklight Shine” illuminate the idea of “a wave of rolling blackouts washing memories onto shore, a heartbeat that still remembers everything,” explains Bixler-Zavala.Today, the band also announces upcoming tour dates kicking off September 23 at The Factory at Deep Ellum in Dallas, TX and closing in Los Angeles, CA at The Palladium. Tickets go on sale this Friday, June 24 at: www.themarsvoltaofficial.com.
The Mars Volta Fall 2022 Tour Dates
- September 23 – The Factory in Deep Ellum – Dallas, TX
- September 25 – Tabernacle – Atlanta, GA
- September 27 – The Metropolitan Opera House – Philadelphia, PA
- September 29 – Terminal 5 – New York, NY
- October 1 – MGM Music Hall at Fenway – Boston, MA
- October 3 – The Anthem – Washington, DC
- October 5 – Massey Hall – Toronto, ON
- October 6 – Royal Oak Music Theatre – Detroit, MI
- October 8 – Aragon Ballroom – Chicago, IL
- October 11 – The Mission Ballroom – Denver, CO
- October 14 – Moore Theatre – Seattle, WA
- October 18 – The Warfield – San Francisco, CA
- October 21 – Hollywood Palladium – Los Angeles, CA