I’ve often heard it said that in jazz, as in most music, the bass is the bottom line. It’s both the rhythmic foundation and the harmonic support of the music. It’s the basis of everything that grooves. This brand-new film centres around pivitol moments in the instruments' history. Featuring exclusive interviews and performances with the bass players who've pushed the boundaries of rhythm-section playing, elevating the instrument from a mere time-keeping role, to visionary composers and improvisors.
We've been blown away by the cooperation and enthusiasm surrounding this project from so many of our heroes. We have already researched troves of archival material and filmed interviews and exclusive performances with the likes of:
- Dave Holland (Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson)
- Larry Grenadier (Brad Mehldau, Pat Metheny)
- Ron Carter (Miles Davis, McCoy Tyner, Lee Morgan)
- Avishai Cohen (Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock)
- Chris Minh Doky (Michael Brecker, Mike Stern)
- Liran Donin (Led Bib)
- Stanley Clarke (Return to Forever)
- Steve Rodby (Pat Metheny Group)
- Phil Palombi (Joe Lovano, The Village Vanguard Orchestra)
- Lars Danielsson (Dave Liebman, John Abercrombie)
- John Patitucci (Chick Corea, Wayne Shorter)
- Christian McBride (Diana Krall, Roy Haynes, Wynton Marsalis)
- Jon Thorne (Lamb)
- Jasper Hoiby (Phronesis, Planet B)
- and many more!
MEET THE DIRECTOR - Nick Wells
Nick Wells is a film maker, musician, magazine editor and project manager at ScottsBassLessons.com. With a degree in music from LIPA, the Sir Paul McCartney “fame” school in Liverpool, Nick went on to produce and direct his first feature length music documentary - Beneath The Bassline, which premiered at the 2017 Doc ’N Roll Film Festival in London.
Support the film at: KickStarter